Our Alaskan Summer Vacation

Click here to view this photo book larger

Build your own high-quality photo books at Shutterfly.com.

About Us

My photo
My favorite travel partner in the world is my best friend and husband, Super Dave! This blog is a travel diary of both business and pleasure trips; happy reading.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Off to Tech School

Happy New Year! I finally received my date to attend school to obtain my training and certification for my job with the Texas Air National Guard.  My class started on Dave's birthday, January 9, 2012 and went for 6 weeks.  Dave and I decided to make a mini trip out of it by driving to Columbia, South Carolina.  Dave flew back to San Antonio while I was gone for the 6 weeks then flew back and we drove from South Carolina back to San Antonio.

We left San Antonio on January 5.  We drove straight through to Arkansas and spent the night.

We stopped for dinner at this place called Fat Boys Fine Food and Catering in Arkadelphia, AR.  It was some fine southern BBQ and while they don't have a website per se; you can read reviews of their food at Urbanspoon.

My class was held at the Armed Forces Chaplaincy Center in Ft. Jackson in Columbia, South Carolina.  I was housed at the Fort Jackson Inn and had my own room.  When we arrived in South Carolina I was able to secure my room and we paid for the one night while my orders started for the next night.  Dave and I made our way into Columbia for lunch and to tour around.  We drove in to an area called Five Points.  Is is a shopping, restaurant and nightlife area that attracts customers from the nearby University of South Carolina and throughout the Columbia metropolitan area.

We ate at the Gourmet Shop for lunch.  Afterward we made our way to the Columbia Museum of Art for a day of culture. After that we drove past the South Carolina State House.




While I was there for training I had my car and made fast friends with my fellow classmates. We got to enjoy shopping, dinner and movies on our off time as well as an occasional Farmer's Market.  I was there over Martin Luther King Day and had the day off from school.  I made my way to Charleston for an overnight to see friends Faith & John.  They took me into Charleston for lunch.  Here's a shot of Charleston's colorful Rainbow Row and the Pineapple Fountain in Waterfront Park.




 While the time away was productive and successful in that I graduated from the class and was an officially trained Chaplain's Assistant; there was a heartbreaking situation.  My Uncle David passed away while I was in school.  The school staff was accommodating and allowed me the time off to fly to California for his funeral.  I missed two days of training but was able to complete what I missed and still graduate.

Dave and my nephew David were pallbearers.  David and I were both in service dress for the funeral to show a sign of respect to my uncle.  We had just celebrated with him and my Aunt Shirley in August for their 65th Wedding Anniversary.






When Dave returned to South Carolina we returned to San Antonio via a route through Alabama.  We stopped in Birmingham for the night and had dinner.  We had a celebrity sighting of Robin Givens in the restaurant that evening.

We made our way back to San Antonio and knocked off a few states in my "to go to" list and now are down to 12 remaining.  Til next time!


Pin It Now!

No comments: